Since long, people continue to amuse themselves by creating and solving puzzles.
Scientists are one of the puzzlesovers who have solved the mysteries and puzzles of nature and always keep trying to reveal what’s unrevealed…..
These are the ones I find most astonishing…..
THE POLAR LIGHTS
- The aurora borealis (the Northern Lights) and the aurora australis (the Southern Lights) have always fascinated mankind, and people even travel thousands of miles just to see the brilliant light shows in the earth’s atmosphere. The auroras, both surrounding the north magnetic pole (aurora borealis) and south magnetic pole (aurora australis) occur when highly charged electrons from the solar wind interact with elements in the earth’s atmosphere. Solar winds stream away from the sun at speeds of about 1 million miles per hour. When they reach the earth, some 40 hours after leaving the sun, they follow the lines of magnetic force generated by the earth’s core and flow through the magnetosphere, a teardrop-shaped area of highly charged electrical and magnetic fields.
- As the electrons enter the earth’s upper atmosphere, they will encounter atoms of oxygen and nitrogen at altitudes from 20 to 200 miles above the earth’s surface. The color of the aurora depends on which atom is struck, and the altitude of the meeting.
- Green – oxygen, up to 150 miles in altitude
- Red – oxygen, above 150 miles in altitude
- Blue – nitrogen, up to 60 miles in altitude
- Purple/violet – nitrogen, above 60 miles in altitude
- All of the magnetic and electrical forces react with one another in constantly shifting combinations. These shifts and flows can be seen as the auroras “dance,” moving along with the atmospheric currents that can reach 20,000,000 amperes at 50,000 volts. (In contrast, the circuit breakers in your home will disengage when current flow exceeds 15-30 amperes at 120 volts.)
The Bermuda triangle is an area of water in the North Atlantic Ocean in which a large number of planes and boats have gone missing in mysterious circumstances. Over the years many explanations have been put forward for the disappearances, including bad weather, alien abductions, time warps, and suspension of the laws of physics.
Although substantial documentation exists to show that many of the reports have been exaggerated, there is still no explanation for the unusually large number of disappearances in the area.
The Marfa lights are unexplained lights (called ghost lights) that have been appearing on Mitchell Flat east of Marfa, Texas. The first published account of the lights was given in 1957, but Robert Reed Ellison (born 1880) reported them to his family and accounts of their appearances were spread by word of mouth. There are no verifiable written reports from before the 1950s.
The lights are described as being the size of a basketball, floating in the air at around shoulder height. Colors are usually described as white, yellow, orange or red, but green and blue are sometimes reported. They usually travel laterally but have been seen to move rapidly in various directions. The lights sometimes appear in groups. Sightings are rare but there is a large amount of photographic and video evidence.
Skeptics generally consider the lights to be related to traffic passing on the nearby US Route 67, or to be electric by-products of the predominantly quartz hills in the area. Because they usually appear in private property with terrain that is difficult to travel over, there are almost no reports of people being able to get close to the lights.
The Loch Ness Monster
Loch Ness is the most voluminous fresh water lake in Great Britain. For centuries people have reported seeing a large creature living in the lake – the earliest account comes from the life of Saint Columba (565 AD). Although sightings of the creature on land around the loch reputedly date back to the sixteenth century, modern interest in the monster was sparked by a 22 July 1933 sighting, when Mr George Spicer and his wife saw ‘a most extraordinary form of animal’ cross the road in front of their car. They described the creature as having a large body (about 4 feet high and 25 feet long), and long, narrow neck, slightly thicker than an elephant’s trunk and as long as the 10-12 foot width of the road; the neck had a number of undulations in it. They saw no limbs because of a dip in the road obscuring the animal’s lower portion. It lurched across the road towards the loch some 20 yards away, leaving only a trail of broken undergrowth in its wake.
What drives this quest to know is the maddeningly regular irregularity of ice crystals. They are always six-sided. Never five or seven. Six. The regularity comes from the shape created when two hydrogen atoms glom onto an oxygen atom to form a water molecule That should make them mostly alike, but no. Ice crystal growth is very sensitive to temperature, amount of water, air movements, sunlight, dust and probably a few variables yet to be discovered. A Japanese researcher found that hexagonal plates formed between 32 and 27 degrees shifted to needles between 27 and 23 degrees, then hollow columns between 23 and 18 degrees. (See, now you’re going to be looking for the different shapes and miss the splendor.) And that’s just the beginning. It is said that ice crystal formation is so sensitive to varying conditions that no two are just alike. If you’re a scientist, you can’t let such an apparent incongruity go unexplained. It’s like dangling the ultimate carrot. If there’s the least curiosity in you — and why else would you go into science? — you gotta bite.
I have collected only a few of the information available to me …YOU MAY STILL EXPLORE!